1. Those things on the top of giraffes’ heads are called ossicones. I kept telling my kids they were horns, but that is incorrect. Unlike horns, ossicones are made out of cartilage and remain covered in skin or fur.
2. Sammy held his teacher’s hand and walked across the playground to me last Wednesday. Yay! He also busted a move and shook his maraca in Music class. Sometimes he just cracks me up!
3. Mike, Sammy, and I spent a rainy Saturday watching movies. We rented “Muppets Most Wanted” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” from the Redbox. I would recommend them both. “Muppets Most Wanted” was good muppet fun, even Sammy liked it. “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” was exciting, entertaining, and a worthy addition to the Marvel superhero franchise.
4. I started my new tutoring job this week. I think it went pretty well, but the youngest of the two boys is definitely a challenge. He has a really negative attitude towards schoolwork and cries any time he doesn’t get his way. We definitely have some things to work on!
5. My mom and I took Sammy to Walden Farms on Saturday for his first trip to the pumpkin patch. He really liked riding a bike and tossing fake apples in the Toddler Town. He laughed about getting his hand licked by a calf and seemed interested in the baby pigs, bunnies, and ducklings. He did not like the pumpkins. He picked out one tiny pumpkin and would not allow any other pumpkins in his wagon. We had a great time!
6. When leaving the pumpkin patch, it is not a good idea to drive your Chevy Impala into a ditch. Poor Sylvia got stuck, and after pushing her without success, the very nice Walden Farms workers had to hook her up to a truck and pull her out. To add insult to injury, the people on the hay ride drove past us frequently, so there were lots of observers of my stupidity. It was not a fun way to end our trip.
7. Mike and I watched “Transformers: Age of Extinction” on Saturday night. None of the Transformer movies are paragons of plot, but this one was really confusing. It just had too much going on, and not much of it was explained. I did think the Dinobots were super cool, especially the one that breathed fire!
8. Last week, my Titans barely squeaked out a win against Jacksonville. Sammie Hill blocked a Jaguars field goal with 12 seconds left in the game, and we won 16-14. This week, Washington made a field goal with 12 seconds left in the game and beat us 17-19. We are now 2-5, and I am sad.
9. Last week, my undefeated fantasy team was defeated. I also dropped out of 1st place in our Pro Pick ‘Em League. My fantasy team is winning this week, but I made a big move that backfired and have dropped even more places in the Pick ‘Em League. Doh!
10. Super brief TV recap:
- The four designers going to Fashion Week on “Project Runway” are Kini, Sean, Amanda, and Char. I am so glad Korina is gone, as she is a heinous person with a bitter, spiteful soul. I am rooting for Kini all the way!
- I was watching “Nashville” the other night, and Amanda from “Project Runway” was on! She played Juliette Barnes’ stylist.
- I like the format of this season’s “Survivor: Blood vs. Water.” I haven’t really picked any favorites, but I am glad John Rocker is gone. He’s a ginormous douche bag.
- On “The Amazing Race,” I love the soul surfer team of Bethany and Adam. They just seem like a genuinely sweet couple who work hard and really love each other.
- I have added a new show, “How to Get Away with Murder.” It is seriously addicting!